A2 English Language And Literature Coursework Other Than A-G

Senior Year High School Courses

Obtain full “Ready” status by taking one of these full-year, senior year courses and pass it with a “C-” or higher. Be sure to select a course taught by a certified instructor.

  • Expository Reading and Writing Course (ERWC) - Adopted as a full year course in the 12th grade being taught by a certified instructor.
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) English
  • Advanced Placement—Language and Composition or Literature and Composition
  • English course approved for extra honors weight on the University of California "a-g" Doorways course list

National Standardized Tests

As a college-bound student, you’ll also be taking the SAT or ACT. Prepare well for these national standardized tests and you can satisfy the Conditional English requirement. A qualifying score on one of the following college placement tests fulfills the requirement.

TestEnglish Exemption Score**English Conditional Exemption Score
*New SAT550 or more on the Evidenced Based Reading and Writing SAT test 510 - 540 on the Evidenced Based Reading and Writing SAT test
Old SAT500 or more on the Critical Reading section 460 - 490 on the Critical Reading section
ACT22 or more on the English Test19 - 21 on the English Test
AP3 or more on either the Language & Composition or Literature & Composition examN/A

* In March 2016, the College Board began administering a new SAT. The new SAT scores are different than the Old SAT scores. The CSU will accept both old and new SAT scores for students graduating in 2020 and prior. Any student graduating after 2020 will be required to take the new SAT.

** Student must continue their preparation in the 12th grade by taking an approved English course and earn a grade of ‘C-’ or better. Students that do not meet the conditional requirement will need to participate in the CSU’s Early Start Program, unless exemption was met through another pathway.

Community College Course

Ready status can be yours by getting a grade of C or higher in a qualifying English transfer course (Area A2) at a community college satisfies the GE requirement. Check the ASSIST course transfer website for more information. Be aware that space in traditional English developmental courses may be very limited at many community colleges.

Early Start Program

CSU’s Early Start Program requires that incoming students who do not demonstrate readiness for college-level English begin remediation during the summer before coming to the CSU. Early Start is intended to better prepare students before their first semester. Early Start is available at all CSU campuses and online and currently costs $182/unit.

Students who do not participate in the Early Start Program may not be able to sign up for orientation or register for classes.

This information is meant to supplement the general eligibility requirements for freshmen, not to replace them.

Your international school must have an appropriate level of recognition in the educational system it follows. You must also be earning a certificate of completion that will allow you to enter a university in that educational system. If your international school follows a U.S. curriculum, your school must have U.S. accreditation and you must graduate with a U.S. high school diploma or an equivalent credential.

International Baccalaureate

If you are completing your IB diploma or simply taking IB courses, make sure to report your IB status in your application. There are instructions in the application for reporting IB coursework and examinations.

13-year Educational Systems

If pre-university education is 13 years long in your country, you must complete all 13 years before entering UC San Diego. You must graduate from secondary school in your country, earning a certificate of completion that enables you to attend a university in your country. Admission to UC San Diego is not offered prior to completion of the 13th year.

British & Singapore

You must complete at least 5 IGCSE/GCSE/GCE O Levels and at least 3 GCE A Levels to be considered for admission. If you receive "A", "B" or "C" grades on your GCE A level examinations, UC San Diego may consider granting you transfer credit toward your bachelor’s degree. The exact credit amount will be determined after you have been formally admitted and provide your official certificate.


You must complete 12 years of education and receive your certificate of graduation (i.e., Red Book). All grade 12 subjects must be completed, passed with a C result or better, with an overall 3.0 (or equivalent). We do require grade 9 transcripts, including if it was completed at a middle school. Students in an A Level program should refer to the British entry above.

India & Pakistan

You must complete your standard XII years of education and sit for 10th and 12th year board/state examinations.


You must complete your SPM and STPM or A Levels to be considered for admission.

Sri Lanka

You must complete Sri Lankan O and A Levels. You may also complete O and A Levels through a British Examination Authority.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *